ActionAid is working in India where a sharp rise in Covid-19 case numbers has caused a lethal, second wave of the crisis.
Covid cases in April 2021 are rising faster in India than the first wave last year, as the newer variants of the virus such as B1617 are a lot more transmissible.
India has seen a record number of new cases recently, around 349,691 bringing its total to more than 16.9 million right now. It has also reported another 2,767 deaths in the last few days pushing India’s fatalities to 192,311.1
Hospitals in India are overwhelmed with oxygen shortages and insufficient numbers of hospital beds. There are now calls for more beds, oxygen, essential drugs, and tests.
Last year, ActionAid India successfully raised substantial funds for our 2020 response, reaching more than 7 million people. With the economy already severely weakened after the first wave, and months of lockdown, domestic resources are now scarce
In response to the escalated crisis, AA India is planning the following.
- Distribution of 8,000 safety and sanitation kits, including protective items for communities to use in sanitation work, burials, and other essential activities
- Help-desks to provide vital information and connect people with appropriate services (health, vaccination, ambulances)
- Direct cash transfers for immediate food and health needs
- Arranging testing and vaccination camps to ensure widespread vaccination coverage
- And reaching out to some of the most vulnerable including migrants in rural and urban areas, ensuring they have access to health check-ups and quarantine information
90% of your donation will support our emergency coronavirus appeal in India.
10% of your donation will be retained for ActionAid’s Emergency Action Fund which will only be used for ensuring we are prepared and able to respond quickly and more effectively to future emergencies and crises. If the total amount raised for this appeal exceeds the funds needed for the response, ActionAid will transfer the remaining balance to the Emergency Action Fund. All Gift Aid claimed on donations will fund ActionAid’s work across the world, wherever the need is greatest.